Lauren competed in her first pageant this weekend. This was definitely her idea not mine. I have always had the
impression that pageants were cheesy and kind of superficial. I have to admit I was WRONG. Don't get me wrong there are definitely those pageants out there that are those things, but the pageant Lauren competed in was more about talent and personality than about looks. Let me tell you these things are a lot of work..First we had to fill a 25 page packet out, then a resume, (what kind of resume could a 14 year old have?) Actually we found lots of things to include like she is Capt. of her cheer team, president of her church class, vice president of her choir class, honor roll. etc., then we had to come up with a platform (hers was helping kids get healthy and stay fit). Then we had to practice her talent, her walk, her interview skills, brush up on current events and practice endless question answering that she MIGHT be asked. I definitely have a lot more respect for pageant girls and all the hard work that goes into these things.
Her event was combined with the Ms. Cache Valley Pageant which is 18 and older. The winner of that pageant goes on to Ms. Utah and then on to Ms. America. The winner also received a two year scholarship to USU. Can you believe that? Ms. Utah earned about $17,000 towards scholarships. I couldn't believe that you could pretty much have your school paid for by competing in pageants.
Going into this, we weren't sure what kind of girls would be in this thing but wh
en we got there we were pleasantly surprised to find smart, beautiful, and most importantly friendly girls. Lauren made lots of new friends and it made the whole experience much more fun for her.
The day of the pageant she had to meet with the judges for a one on one interview where they ask you questions about yourself. That night they performed an opening number, a physical fitness outfit, a talent, and evening gown where they had to answer two onstage questions. I have to say as a mother, I don't think I have ever been prouder of my daughter. She has never had to perform on stage by herself and she was on that stage looking like she had been doing this her whole life. She was graceful, confident, and much too grown up for her 14 years. Zak even started crying which makes me tear up just writing it because he couldn't believe that was OUR daughter up there. Even though she didn't win, it will be remembered as one of the best experiences for her and for me. We spent lots of hours practicing and talking about how to present herself, how to answer questions correctly, about confidence and about many other life lessons that I think she will take with her. The best moment of the evening had to be right before she went on- we could see her in the wings and she motioned the words "I Love You" to me. I feel like the luckiest mom in the whole world to have such an amazing, talented, smart, kind, and beautiful daughter!
Lauren and Ms. Utah
Lauren and Mackenzie (the girl that won) 
Sunday, February 22, 2009
Ms Cache Valley Outstanding Teen
Posted by Evecall at 10:41 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Wow! Way to go Lauren! What a neat experience for you both!
What a great experience for Lauren! She is definitely a beauty and has been raised well. Way to go to you and Zach for raising a well-rounded and level-headed child. Hope she does more!
That is so sweet about her mouthing I love you. That would make me cry too. Her dress is beautiful. And she looked lovely.
she's so BEAUTIFUL!!! great job lauren.
love you guys.
(ps...never let her get fake boobs like some of those girly girls.)
Post a Comment